Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Post #2

Dear Readers,
I am about to complete the mystery I've been reading, The Pursuit of the Proper Sinner by Elizabeth George. As I stated in my previous post, I have read this twice before.  Sadly (old age, I guess) I remember some of the plot but some stuff I hadn't so it's still engaging enough that I want to keep reading.  I want to focus my post on the relationship between Inspector Tommy Linley and his partner, Barbara Havers.  The author set up a great pair; all good mysteries series have great characters for their detectives and this pair is no different.  What makes this pair particularly interesting is that there's a great deal of tension between them because of their backgrounds.  Lynley is an earl which in Britain is one below a duke - in other words, he is an aristocrat.  He comes from money, has an estate outside of London, and has all the trappings of someone who has family money.  Havers, on the other hand, is working class London.  She doesn't have any of the privileges that Lynley has had and is, at times, quite resentful of his wealth.  This is the fifth book in the series and by this time they've managed to establish an effective working relationship and even a friendship - until Havers comes under suspicion of defying orders in another case.  Though she's eventually cleared of any wrongdoing, Lynley can't seem to forgive her.  He tries repeatedly to give her opportunities to 'straighten up' and follow orders, but she continually does what she wants to do in the investigation.

This continuing tension is demonstrated throughout this particular mystery and I just finished a scene where they have a blowout and Lynley tells her that he no longer wants to work with her.  It is a critical scene because it is not only the end of their working relationship but also their friendship.  At this point, it doesn't seem possible that Lynley will change his mind about her and Havers seems incapable of doing what she knows she must do to redeem herself; she's simply incapable of following orders all the way through.

I love these mysteries because George always manages to add additional story lines to the core plot.  This keeps me continually interested in both the mystery and the characters.  Great stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment